FOR ELIGIBLE RETURNING STUDENTS
Room Selection is an online process for eligible returning students to select their housing assignment in the spring semester for the next academic year. The process consists of multiple rounds which offer the students different room type selections. These rounds follow a progression of room types, the order of which reflects the priority of the majority of students have consistently emphasized they prefer. The goal is to distribute rooms fairly, attempting to give each student what he or she desires within the limits of available resources.
Here is a quick overview of Room Selection. On February 1st a $450 advance housing payment request (e-bill) will be sent via email to all eligible Room Selection candidates’ syr.edu email address. This advance payment whether it is paid, a credit applied or a waiver requested (students that receive 70% or more financial aid) must be made in order for students to access the Room Selection application. Once the payment, credit or waiver is posted the student will have access to complete the Room Selection application via MySlice>Student Services>Housing, Meal Plan & ID Card>Self Service. The deadline for full participation in Room Selection is March 20th. This gives students a month and a half to complete the payment and application step.
Once the payment/credit/waiver and application are complete the student will participate in one of two tracks.
- ORANGE Track
Students who have fulfilled their 2 year residency requirement.
- BLUE Track
Students still obligated to our 2 year residency requirement(Fall 2017 & Spring 2018 new freshmen and transfer freshmen).
Room Selection progresses in rounds but here is a quick process outline.
- Have a plan-
- What types of rooms would you like to select. Keep options open as not all room types will be available at your selection time.
- Who do you plan to select as roommate(s).
- Follow track to determine dates you must complete selections.
- Make sure that you and your roommate(s) select one another (the entire group must match) by specified deadlines for each round you participate in.
- Determine who in your roommate group will select the room when you receive your selection time. ONLY 1 person in the roommate group selects the room.
- Questions? Ask at the Housing Office, Don’t rely on word of mouth!
Below you will find PDF documents regarding Room Selection 2018.
- Room Selection Guide– The guide describes room selection. It will answer most questions but if you have specific questions after reviewing the guide please feel free to stop by the office or attend some of our campus ‘Ask the Experts’ opportunities.
- Room Selection Calendars 2018-blue track – Students that have a 2 year residency requirement (fall 2017 or spring 2018 freshmen and transfer-freshmen) should review this calendar for Room Selection.
- Room Selection Calendar 2018-orange track – Students that have fulfilled or do not have a 2 year residency requirement should review this calendar for Room Selection.
- Learning Community & 6-Person Suite Form – This form is to be utilized by students who are interested in Learning Communities/Interest Housing and the 6-person suite options during Room Selection.
- Pull-In Form – This form is to be used by returning students participating in Room Selection but their requested roommate will be a new transfer or freshman in fall 2018.
Room Lists by Round:
- 1-Person Options – Room List – Complete room list of available 1-person room types (singles) for room selection. This round of Room Selection takes place March 23, 2018, 12noon-12midnight. ORANGE Track Only
- 3-Person Options – Room List – Complete room list of available 3-person room types for room selection. This round of Room Selection takes place with Roommate Selection March, 26th, 9AM-27th, 9AM and Room Selection March 27th, 12noon – 9pm.
- 4-Person Options – Room List – Complete room list of available 4-person room types for room selection. This round of Room Selection takes place with Roommate Selection March 28th, 9AM – 29th, 9AM and Room Selection March 29th, 12noon – 9pm. BLUE Track Only
- 2-Person Options – Room List – Complete room list of available 2-person room types for room selection. This round of Room Selection takes place with Roommate Selection March 30th, 9AM- April 3rd, 9AM and Room Selection April 3rd 12noon – April 4th, 9PM.
Room Selection Room Type Counts – The (Adobe PDF) breaks down the number of Room Types available in each round of room selection.